- Jules Verne & Icelandic Horse
- Icelandic Pony in William Morris' Kitchen
- Icelandic Horse Books
- Icelandic Breeding Standards
- Gaits of the Icelandic Horse
- Fun Facts--Icelandic Horse
- Best of Blessi Stories
- Fun Facts-Blessi
- Is this trotty, pacey or clear tolt or rack
- MCOA Hereditary Eye Defect in Silver Dapples
- Bone Spavin in the Icelandic Horse
- Velkomin, Bienvenu--How to translate Blessiblog
- MtDNA Origins of the Icelandic Horse
- Icelandic Horse Twins--A Wonderful and Cautionary Tale
Monday, September 30, 2013
Blessi has a Coat of Arms and a Motto
Well Icelandics are smart and they are opportunistic. Not long after moving in to the new stable, Rena told me that she and her husband were having lunch in the kitchen. They looked out their French doors and saw Blessi grazing right by their deck--note that is not his pasture. The electricity for the pastures went out and Blessi noticed the golden opportunity.
It turns out that there is a lower gate that consists of two wires attached to the "bicycle" handles. I didn't even notice the gate but Blessi did. He undid the lower wire and then ducked under the upper wire. What
is impressive about this is that he associated the "bicycle" handles with "gate." Blessi has never been taken in or out of the pasture at this area. When Rena went to fetch him with a halter and lead rope, he led her on a merry chase around the yard until she thought to get some grain. Luckily there were no other horses in the pasture.
The stable owner analyzed Blessi's personality. She said that his personality is described by the expression "I can so I will" and that he should have a sign on his door with that phrase. I thought that would be cooler in Latin, which per the online translator is:
"Possum sic ego."
This could be the motto of many an Icelandic horse. So Blessi now has his own coat of arms complete with motto. Rena has a sense of humor and they still want to adopt Blessi--I think.
Note: The horse artwork in the center is not a very good representation of an Icelandic but the image was in the public domain.