Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Blessi is smarter than I

What I felt like
Source: Wikipedia
Blessi had a farrier appointment last week. Interspersed with the shoeing, brushing, and arena work, I put him in two different pastures so he could get some grazing time.  The first time I retrieved him from grazing in the pasture, he walked right up to me through the deep mud and standing water to put his head in the halter as I held it out, which he almost always does.

The second time I retrieved him from a different pasture.  I didn't bother to open the gate but I leaned into the electric wire gate which I had just unplugged the electrical source and held out Blessi's halter.  He came up to within 3 feet of me, looked at me, and wouldn't come any closer.  I called, clucked, coaxed and he just stared at me like I was trying to trick him.  Several times he rocked weight onto his front feet like he was thinking of moving forward but no go.  I was getting a bit frustrated and confused.  Why was Blessi acting like this?

I touched the wire in preparation for  grabbing the handle.  ZAPPPPP!!!!  Somebody trying to be helpful had noticed the electricity to the fence was unplugged and plugged it back in.  The outlet is in the barn so he/she had no way to see me at the gate.

I am going to have to learn to trust Blessi--he was really trying to tell me something.  I had that tingly just zapped feeling for hours.

No comments: