Monday, March 18, 2019

Scratch and Sniff Test for a Dragon's Blood Tree


I am attempting to write a flash fiction short story "The Eve Recursion" set on Socotra Island in the Arabian Sea. Socotra broke off from Africa around 3 million years ago so one third of flora is endemic or found only on this island. At one point, the characters walk up to a Dragon's Blood tree. As an aspiring author, I though it would be cool to incorporate the scent--pine, cedar like, floral, whatever--into the scene. I did quite a bit of research but could find nothing about the scent of a Dragon's Blood tree or Dracaena cinnabari.

I found the Botanic Gardens Conservation International web site (BCGI.org) that has a worldwide database of plants. They sent out an email on my behalf to the 13 botanical gardens that have a Dracaena cinnabari specimen. (Told you it was a rare plant.) I love scientists!!!!! The Jardin Botanico in Madrid, Spain, answered my request. A worker did a scratch and sniff test on their young Dragon's Blood tree. There is no odor.

Interesting synergy that ended up in my short story. In Hieronymus Bosch’s triptych of “The Garden of Earthly Delights,” now in the Museo del Prado in Madrid, God and Adam and Eve stand under a Dragon's Blood tree.

Photo of Dragon's Blood Tree from Wikipedia courtesy of Boris Khvostichenko.
Photo of “The Garden of Earthly Delights” from Wikipedia courtesy of Museo del Prado in Madrid.

No comments: