- Jules Verne & Icelandic Horse
- Icelandic Pony in William Morris' Kitchen
- Icelandic Horse Books
- Icelandic Breeding Standards
- Gaits of the Icelandic Horse
- Fun Facts--Icelandic Horse
- Best of Blessi Stories
- Fun Facts-Blessi
- Is this trotty, pacey or clear tolt or rack
- MCOA Hereditary Eye Defect in Silver Dapples
- Bone Spavin in the Icelandic Horse
- Velkomin, Bienvenu--How to translate Blessiblog
- MtDNA Origins of the Icelandic Horse
- Icelandic Horse Twins--A Wonderful and Cautionary Tale
- Using World Fengur
Friday, June 5, 2015
Blessi Learns to Play "Polo"
Last week, I found some polo mallets for sale at $3 apiece at Goodwill. At that price, Blessi is fated to learn how to play polo. Over the past few days, I have been working with Blessi on the ground and in the saddle.
Of course there was no polo ball for sale so I had to experiment. When I hit a jolly ball (about the size and heaviness of a soccer ball) from the saddle, it only goes two feet and Blessi outwalks it. A dog ball got stuck in the arena sand but a wooden croquet ball was just right.
Lish was kind enough to trot Blessi around and play polo. The two are quite a lovely pair except Blessi did not always want to keep trotting. I suspect he thought Lish might fall off (not that Lish was going to fall just that she leaned to hit the ball) and was trying to help---or he was just low energy tonight.
As you can see by the photo to the left, Blessi was willing to lean way, way, way over to give Lish a few extra inches to be able and hit the ball.