Saturday, February 16, 2019

Soapstone as Viking Cookware

Norse used pots carved from soapstone or steatite, which is mostly made of the mineral talc.  The stone is very soft and easily carved.  Many cultures used this stone for carving and cookware.   "In the Viking Age, however, the use of soapstone for pots and vessels virtually exploded and almost completely expelled the former pottery tradition [from Norway] to Denmark/Germany and possibly Iceland."

I have always wanted a soapstone cookpot because of its lovely look and cooking advantages such as heat retention.  It is delicate if exposed to sudden changes in temperature.  When I found a soapstone pot at a thrift store, I purchased it immediately.  Iron skillets are "seasoned"  but soapstone pots are "cured."  Uncured soapstone is a nondescript grey.  There are many ways to cure the pot.  I used the method of applying cooking oil (olive oil is what I selected) and placing the pot in a heated oven for gradually increasing amounts of time.  As you can see above, the stone turned a beautiful shades of dark gray with shiny flecks and streaks.  I can't wait till my next Society for Creative Anachronism encampment to show off my historically accurate pot.










Here is a link to an article on the Norse use of soapstone for cooking utensils. 
https://perstoremyr.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/2002_storemyr_heldal_soapstonehistorynorway.pdf

No comments: