Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Blessi Bling How To--My Grandmother's Garden Jacket

One of the challenges if you are a full figure filly is buying stylish riding clothes.  I have started making my own.  I found some light spring wool-mohair fabric in an antique shop--the kind commonly used to make spring Easter coats about 40 or 50 years ago.  I decided to make a riding wrap using Butterick pattern 5680.   It is the purple coat displayed in the upper right of the pattern. 





When it was finished, it reminded me of a field of spring grass.  I happened to have some crocheted flowers that my grandmother made.  I tacked them to the coat.  I liked the result so much that I am not wearing the coat to the barn.  I will have to make another one.  If you decided not to add embellishments to the wrap, the entire thing can be made in one evening.

Of course Merci was very helpful during the process.  She slept on the coat as I was tacking down the flowers.

No comments: