- Jules Verne & Icelandic Horse
- Icelandic Pony in William Morris' Kitchen
- Icelandic Horse Books
- Icelandic Breeding Standards
- Gaits of the Icelandic Horse
- Fun Facts--Icelandic Horse
- Best of Blessi Stories
- Fun Facts-Blessi
- Is this trotty, pacey or clear tolt or rack
- MCOA Hereditary Eye Defect in Silver Dapples
- Bone Spavin in the Icelandic Horse
- Velkomin, Bienvenu--How to translate Blessiblog
- MtDNA Origins of the Icelandic Horse
- Icelandic Horse Twins--A Wonderful and Cautionary Tale
- Using World Fengur
Monday, August 18, 2014
Marques XXXVI--What if you met the horse version of Brad Pitt before he became famous?
Several years ago, I went on riding holiday to Epona, owned by Fernando and Jane Garcia, in Spain, which I highly recommend to riders of any level. I booked the train and trail package, which was a ride through the Andalusian countryside in the morning and a dressage lesson in the afternoon--all on Andalusians or Andalusian crosses. Add in the side trips to Seville to visit a tack store, watch flamenco dancers, attend a performance at the Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art, ride on the beach in traditional Spanish doma vaquero tack, and more and the holiday was magical and mystica and amazing. And I didn't even mention the amazing Spanish food--or wine!
One of the extras of the program was watching the Garcias' daughter Vivi, who is a graduate of the Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art, train horses during the day. One of the stallions was an absolute standout, Marques XXXVI, that the Garcias helped find for Rhea Scott (the wife of the son of the director Ridley Scott). Here is the video that I shot:
In the US, Sabine Schut-Kery, who is now co-owner, took over the training of Marques. This stallion went on to become PRE Stallion of the year in 2012 and 2013 Prix St Georges horse of the year.
Here is more video of this eye candy. I am so lucky to have seen this outstanding horse before he became famous.