Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Finding Mjǫllnir, the Hammer of the Gods

While shopping at Goodwill, I found a wide camp bed. The cashier asked me about the cot and I mentioned Society for Creative Anachronism events. The cashier said he did Norse events and was looking for a new shield.   Somehow the topic came up about how we were building a dragonship for the WA State Fair for our Icelandic horses and I was looking for Viking arms for kids to wear for photo ops. 

The cashier said, "Wait right here. There's some treasure you need to see."   He got a manager to cover for him and ran off.  He came back a few minutes later with a double headed ax, two Viking helmets, and Mjǫllnir, Thor's hammer. When I asked his name to thank him, he said Thor. I was taken aback but I checked his name tag which did indeed say Thor. So when kids ask us where we got the hammer, we can truthfully say that Thor gave it to us.

No comments: