Saturday, January 17, 2015

My new Icelandic "Breeding Farm"--Tolting Treasures

This is Galsi from Tolting Treasures.  He is a yellow dun.
1-17-15 Update--I just found out that Galsi raised $150 at auction for the Lower Puget Sound Dressage.  Evidently there was a bidding war.

If I win the lottery, my fantasy is to start breeding a few Icelandic horses.  Of course in my fantasy all  offspring achieve first and second prize.  In reality, breeding quality horses involves a certain amount of money, a lot of knowledge, considerable experience, and bit of luck--none of which I possess.

A few years ago, I found some quality German mohair being sold quite cheaply at a local thrift store.  Using this "distressed stock,"  I made about 20 Icelandic foals.  My first thought was to start a business but economically this only made sense if I had a continuing supply of cheap mohair.

Instead I have given these little guys to friends or donated them to charities for fund raising events.  Above is my last offspring  Galsi from Tolting Treasures.  He will be auctioned off by the Lower Puget Sound Dressage club in their annual fund raising event.  Last year, there was a considerable bidding war over his sister Drifa.

One of the things I discovered about myself through this hobby is that the "fun" of "breeding" for me was getting to brainstorm about  the name for my farm and naming the "offspring."  And I don't have to worry about anybody forgetting to feed these little guys or failing to give them vet care after the sale!

No comments: